11 December 2015

Don't miss:
Jefferson Pinder: Onyx Odyssey at the Hyde Park Art Center, Chicago


It's difficult for me to separate my feelings on viewing the video of the shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald; reading Michelle Alexander's book, The New Jim Crow, Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness; and visiting this exhibit. I'm grateful that these experiences have come so close together, because for me they reinforce so strongly how I and, I think, many Americans are oblivious to the reality of the Black experience, and especially that of black men, in our country. Mr. Pinder's exhibit is wonderful partly for the variety of media he uses to tell his stories. Take the time to explore it all. Shown here: Gauntlet, 2015, Jefferson Pinder
Hyde Park Art Center, through January 24, 2016. Free admission. Artist talk: Sunday, Jan. 10, 2pm
http://www.hydeparkart.org/exhibitions/

No comments: